Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Thayer Coggin swivel tub chair, circa 1960-1970-ish

Thayer Coggin vintage swivel "tub" chair - difficult to tell the proportions at first glance
I'd been wanting to replace a few old pieces of furniture in our house when I "happened into" the Salvation Army while they were having a 30% off furniture sale.  I was immediately drawn to this over-sized chair, but I wasn't sure why - it's a little more mod than my typical style, although it DID swivel - how fun is that?!?  My daughter was with me at the time and LOVED that it was generous enough that you could curl up and have it surround you like a great big hug!

Same tub chair with child demonstrating that she could sleep on it
When I lifted the cushion I saw it was made by Thayer-Coggin, which I was not familiar with, but from the label I could tell it was high-quality.  Even though it was marked only $100 and would be 30% off, I didn't think my husband would like it, I couldn't figure out how to get it home, and I just kept hemming and hawing.  I went home and researched and couldn't find much information about this maker.  I finally dug up some listings on 1stdibs that really shocked me - I guess this is quite a rare find and tip-top-quality!  Prices ranged between $1500 to over $3000!  I'd really love to know what this chair cost retail "back in the day" (if anyone knows, please do tell!).  Of course, now I liked it even more than I originally did, but had some obstacles.  Anyway, I ended up missing the sale since it was only on the weekend, but on Monday I held my breath and ventured back to Sal's and was so relieved to see "my" chair still sitting there waiting for me - NO ONE had scooped her up!  I asked the manager if they'd consider an offer at this point, and I ended up getting her for $50!  I took her home in my friend's van, my husband met her and was very polite, and I hope we all live happily ever after together!  

My daughter and I both fit very comfortably and can snuggle while watching movies...
Here she is, happy in her new home...

What was your most valuable surprise find, or surprisingly valuable find?


PS - linking up to Apron Thrift Girl and Coastal Charm...

yours truly,
teresa
tinker.tailor.peddler.magpie



7 comments:

  1. i had a very similar experience with a sofa. i had been waiting for years to replace my tired sofabed and found a lovely, art-deco style sofa in a local thrift shop and got it for $250. a friend had an identical one that she had custom made for $1200. don't you love it when that happens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought mine in the late 80's new. I waited for a 50% off sale and paid 900, for a CHAIR, on sale, back in the late 80s. Still have and would never part with. It's down filled, has down pillows. Best chair ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - interesting to hear the price info about your chair! I wish this one was down-filled, but I love love love the swivel...I feel the same attachment you do - I don't think I will ever part with this! Best chair EVER...you're right! Thanks for visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a navy blue velveteen like version of the same chair and was wondering how much it goes for.

    My ex left it when he moved out. Lol... Guess he never researched how much it was worth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Awesome find! I have a chair obsession. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda - you've found my long-lost blog! Thanks for your nice comment...yes, I have a "thing" for chairs too, and usually feel sorry for ones that are missing their mates (like a lone dining room chair), in which case, I feel that I should give it a good home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that's a crazy cool chair. And I can't believe that SA took an offer. What a great deal!

    ReplyDelete