Tuesday, August 21, 2012

a flea from Zagreb, Croatia...

Zagreb flea market finds
When I travel, I always like to bring back a few souvenirs, but not the "I've been to Vegas (fill in the blank)" kind.  I prefer ones that resonate with the local color or culture, and ones that I will put to use in my home and remember always where they're from.  Here are a few treasures I brought back from our recent trip to Zagreb, Croatia.  I arrived at the tail end of the flea market, when many vendors were packing up their wares (I couldn't get my sorry body moving any earlier due to jet-lag and the time difference!), but I was still able to discover a few gems.  I was delighted to find the moonstone necklace for about $12, since I'd been admiring one just like it in a local jewelry store for around $150 US!  I will forever be drawn to that mysterious glowing stone or glassware.  I plan to disassemble and share the "marbles" among many different pieces of jewelry - I'll show you what I come up with later.  I found the antique coffee grinder irresistible, mostly due to the vibrant color and patina, but it didn't hurt that his name was Titan and he was only $15.  Also, I wanted to compare the taste of fresh hand-ground beans to those ground in my obnoxious electric contraption - I'll let you know!  In the meantime, he adds character to our kitchen, just sitting idly, looking dapper.  The tiny sterling spoon was only $3 and is just so sweet.  I use these mini spoons a lot, either in my salt/pepper cellar, or for serving jam or condiments.  The back is inscribed with something (who knows what?!?!) and I will always remember that it followed me home from Croatia.  I wish I would've had time to look for other mini silver goodies.

tiny sterling spoon from Croatian flea market

What treasures have you returned with from your travels?

PS - linking up to Apron Thrift Girl and Coastal Charm...


yours truly,
teresa
tinker.tailor.peddler.magpie


2 comments:

  1. That coffee grinder is delightful! Love the look and the color. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your treasures! 2 years ago we went to London and I made it a goal to bring home a vintage treasure. I found a sweet little pottery piece in my favorite vintage jadeite green that was from a Scottish pottery manufacturer. It was small enough to fit in my suitcase easily and I use it every day in my bathroom to hold tiny sample vials of perfume. It's pretty, useful, and reminds me of a special time! :)

    ReplyDelete