Sunday, August 5, 2012

wild blackberry jam

favorite kitchen scales with favorite wild berries in favorite moonstone bowl
I feel so fortunate to have wild blackberries growing in our yard.  Around here they can be considered an invasive weed, but not to me.  We purposely invite them to grow wild and go crazy so that we have enough to eat in season, with leftovers to freeze and make into sweet treats.  Today's pickings became jam. Have you ever made freezer jam?  I prefer it to cooked jam because it's much easier AND it keeps its bright fresh-fruit flavor.  Try it sometime!  Someday I'd like to try to make my own pectin from sour apples, but today was not that day...
(jam shown with petalware monax depression glass plate, vintage Vera linen tea towel, and Reed & Barton twisted sterling spoon found at Petaluma Brunch and Flea last year with Selena)

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with freezer jam or if you've ever made your own pectin...


yours truly,
teresa
tinker.tailor.peddler.magpie


No comments:

Post a Comment